Bank Litigation/Commercial Litigation
- Defended bank in lawsuit filed by Georgia Airport Authority seeking to set aside a $1.2 million note and corresponding mortgage based upon a conflict of interest transaction.
- Represented staffing business in obtaining $1 million judgment against medical transportation business for breach of contract including post-judgment collection work.
- Defended bank in wrongful foreclosure action brought by borrower and foreclosed upon property obtaining judgment of $3 million in favor of the bank, including post-judgment collection work resulting in successful settlement of claims.
- Represented minority business owners in business break-up lawsuits.
- Assists employers in enforcing non-compete agreements with employees.
- Represents numerous banks in both prosecuting and defending claims associated with bank loans.
- Represents business both large and small in various matters from contract disputes to collection cases.
- Defending estate administrator in breach of fiduciary duty and fraud lawsuit.
- Quiet title actions for landowners.
- Represented numerous landlord and tenants in dispossessory actions both residential and commercial.
- Representing homeowners in fraud claim against home builder/contractor.
- Representing insured in insurance coverage litigation against insurer.
- Defending business owner in breach of contract action based upon Uniform Commercial Code violations in the repossession and sale of secured collateral.
- Prosecuting claim for Securities fraud / investment fraud.
- Represented clients in enforcement of trademark and intellectual property rights.
Class Action Litigation
- Defended hospital in multiple class actions involving hospital liens. Obtained reversal on appeal of class certification decision in lawsuit against hospital arising from lien and billing practices (reported at 326 Ga. App. 833).
- Successfully resolved class action for Georgia residents under the Georgia Debt Adjustment Act obtaining favorable settlement fund for the class in excess of $2 million.
- Successfully resolved class action for Georgia residents under the Georgia Debt Adjustment Act obtaining favorable settlement for the class in excess of $1 million. This litigation resulted in multiple smaller cases, many of which have been resolved for favorable subclasses of Georgia residents.
- Represented clients in dozens of class actions.
Personal Injury/Malpractice litigation
- Successfully defended medical malpractice defendant in trial to a defense verdict in which Plaintiff sought damages in excess of $5 million.
- Successfully defended lawsuit against a trucking company in trial to a defense verdict in which Plaintiff sought damages in of $15 million.
- Defending bonding company in claim for unlawful home invasion.
- Defended premises liability/slip and fall cases.
- Representing insurer in defense of disability insurance coverage litigation.
- Negotiated $8 million sale of transportation business.
- Negotiated transaction for four-phase, $40 million commercial real estate development with a local Housing Authority.
- Negotiated $4.5 million contract for energy performance construction work and corresponding energy performance guarantee.
- Represented bank in negotiating commercial real estate loan secured by building rights only.
- Negotiated sale of dental practice.
- Negotiated physician employment contracts on behalf of both physicians and medical practices.
- Represented lender in loan transaction secured by aircrafts.
- General Counsel for the Augusta Housing Authority which operates approximately 2,500 apartment units and manages approximately 3,500 clients who receive Section 8 federal housing.
- Drafting contracts for various business entities.
- Formation of business start-ups, including limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, and corporations.
Chris practices in the area of business law with an emphasis in civil litigation. Chris has had considerable experience litigating complex business and commercial disputes, construction claims, class actions and medical malpractice lawsuits. He has tried numerous cases to jury verdict in both state and federal trial courts. He also has handled a significant number of cases in mediation and in arbitration settings. From this firsthand experience, Chris is able to represent both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of litigation from small claims to multi-million dollar torts, class actions and business disputes. Focusing in the area of business law, Chris also has experience in negotiating business contracts, asset purchase agreements and other business-related deals.
Honors & Awards
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star - General Litigation (2011, 2013-2015)
- Augusta Region’s Top Ten in Ten: Young Professionals to Watch (2011)