- Structured and represented significant shareholder in tax-free spin-off of operating division of publicly traded company in the cable industry
- Structured tax-free reorganization of large privately owned media company in preparation for public offering of debt securities for an operating division.
- Structured complex tax-free reorganization of multi-level corporate group for efficient tax consequences and financing opportunities for various divisions.
- Prepared estate plans and gift plans to minimize transfer taxes and preserve family control of large privately held businesses.
- Represented the organizers of multiple non-profit entities to structure charitable activities and advise families and business sponsors regarding compliance with private foundation rules.
- Represented NYSE listed real estate investment trust (“REIT”) in over a dozen registered public offerings of common stock, preferred stock and debt securities of over $1 billion, all of its securities filings, and the eventual merger and spin-off of another public company.
- Represented Nasdaq listed company in all securities filings during its public existence for over 5 years.
- Represented large newspaper company in its initial public offering of debt securities and all securities filings during the period the securities were outstanding.
- Represented start-up businesses raising capital in compliance with small business securities law through private offerings of unregistered securities in LLCs and partnerships.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of foreign travel magazine.
- Represented seller in asset sale of group of newspapers for over $100 million.
- Represented seller of national food products business.
- Represented multi-billion dollar REIT in “merger of equals”.
- Represented outdoor advertising business in series of acquisitions and dispositions of operating divisions.
- Represented business owners in forming joint venture with private equity funds while minimizing tax consequences.
- Represented borrower in over $400 million senior secured bank syndicated credit facility with multiple tranches.
- Represented borrower in over $20 million credit facility with warrants issued to lender.
- Represented diversified company in financial transactions and structuring multiple loans among various business divisions.
Mark practices in the areas of tax and business law with an emphasis on corporate transactions, securities law and estate planning. His practice has involved counseling large and small businesses and their owners in a wide range of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, financing activities, estate and business succession planning, and general tax matters. In the tax area, he has focused on and successfully represented clients in business reorganizations, choice of business entity, tax-exempt financing, charitable organizations, real estate investment trusts, estate and gift tax, and state and local taxation.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®2017 - Tax Law