- Successfully mediated over 400 cases with law firms located throughout Georgia and South Carolina in cases involving personal injury, wrongful death, premises liability, products liability, construction disputes, professional negligence, domestic disputes, and other general civil litigation.
- Arbitrated a number of disputes involving employment issues, consumer class action claims, construction, and other contract cases.
- Served as Trial Judge on the Superior Court for the Augusta Judicial Circuit from Jan 1, 1997 until Oct 31, 2007
- Designated to serve on Georgia Supreme Court on case Mead v. Sheffield 278 Ga 268 (2004).
- Conducted lead argument in appeal which affirmed a defendants’ verdict in multi- party catastrophic injury from a trucking accident (reported at 321 Ga. App. 507).
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Mediation & Appellate Practice 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Paul C. Harris Fellow of Rotary International
- Justice Robert Benham Awards - Lifetime achievement award for Community Service
- Georgia Handbook on Foundations and Objections, Thomson-West, 2003. (updated annually)
- "Reflections of a Former Trial Judge: Looking through the Rear View Mirror". Judges' Journal Vol 56, no. 2, Spring 2017, p. 26
- "From the Bar to the Bench and Back.",The Primerus 180, Fall 2011
- “Divorce in Times of Recession and Declining Valuation.” Calendar Call General Practice and Trial Section State Bar of Georgia. Vol. XVI, No.1. Summer 2009: p.7-9
- "Avoiding Judicial Arrogance: A Personal Essay." Judges Journal. Vol. 44, No. 1. Winter 2005: p.21
- "From the Bar to the Bench: Reflections of a Rookie Judge." Georgia Bar Journal. Vol. 4, No. 6. 1999
- "Opening Statements" Verdict Magazine. Vol. 26, No. 3. 2001: p. 14
“Mediation of the Emotionally Charged Case;” Dispute Resolution for Trial and Non-Trial Lawyers CLE; Augusta, GA; May 3, 2013.
“Privileges and Documentary Evidence in the Electronic Age;” Georgia State Bar Mid Year Meeting; Atlanta, GA; January 10, 2013.
“Proposed New Georgia Rules of Evidence and Daubert;” Advanced Urgent Legal Matters at Sea; FL; November 2011.
“Evidence and Divorce Mediation in Trying Times;” Institute of Continuing Education; Augusta, GA; Fall 2010.
“Evidentiary Issues;” Advanced Urgent Legal Matters at Sea Freedom of the Sea Cruise; FL; November 2009.
Gary Christy Memorial Georgia Trial Skills Clinic Faculty Mentor; Athens, GA; June 2009, 2011, and 2013.
“Family Law Evidence Presentation;” Update on Family Law Seminar sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, GA; October, 2011 and 2012.
Multiple presentations on lay witnesses, expert witnesses, opinion testimony and hearsay; Seminars on the GeorgiaHandbook on Foundations and Objections; sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, GA; November, 2003; Atlanta, GA; February, 2004, 2005, 2007 – 2017; and Savannah, GA; August, 2005.
“Expert Trial Strategy”; New World of Experts in Georgia sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Atlanta, GA; December, 2005.
“Judicial Ethics and Disqualification;” Arkansas Trial Judges Conference; University of Arkansas; Fayetteville, AR; October, 2004.
“Full Faith and Credit of Family Violence Protective Orders;” Annual Meeting of the Council of Superior Court Judges for the State of Georgia; Savannah, GA; January, 2004.