- Successfully mediated hundreds of cases with law firms located throughout Georgia and South Carolina in cases involving personal injury, wrongful death, premises liability, products liability, construction disputes, professional negligence, domestic disputes, and other general civil litigation.
- Arbitrated a number of disputes involving employment issues, consumer class action claims, construction, and other contract cases.
- Conducted lead argument in appeal which affirmed a defendants’ verdict in multi- party catastrophic injury from a trucking accident (reported at 321 Ga. App. 507).
- Represented several physicians and other professions in pursuing claims for contested disability benefits under disability insurance policies. Successful in recovering over 1.5 million for one client.
- Served as lead counsel for major mortgage lender in a number of cases arising from defaulting mortgages that resulted in foreclosures and third party claims relating to the collapse of the real estate market in the recent recession.
- Obtained a summary judgment of $1,000,000 against insurer in contested coverage issue in alcohol liability case involving automotive liability coverage and dram shop liability.
- Successfully argued an appeal to Eleventh Circuit in chemical exposure case against product manufacture of the chemical which affirmed the trial court’s summary judgment based on federal preemption under Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Mediation & Appellate Practice 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Paul C. Harris Fellow of Rotary International
- Justice Robert Benham Awards - Lifetime achievement award for Community Service
- Georgia Handbook on Foundations and Objections, Thomson-West, 2003. (updated annually)
- "From the Bar to the Bench and Back.",The Primerus 180, Fall 2011
- “Divorce in Times of Recession and Declining Valuation.” Calendar Call General Practice and Trial Section State Bar of Georgia. Vol. XVI, No.1. Summer 2009: p.7-9
- "Avoiding Judicial Arrogance: A Personal Essay." Judges Journal. Vol. 44, No. 1. Winter 2005: p.21
- "From the Bar to the Bench: Reflections of a Rookie Judge." Georgia Bar Journal. Vol. 4, No. 6. 1999
- "Opening Statements" Verdict Magazine. Vol. 26, No. 3. 2001: p. 14
“Update on EvidenceCode;” Sponsored by Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, GA; December 2013.
“Mediation of the Emotionally Charged Case;” Dispute Resolution for Trial and Non-Trial Lawyers CLE; Augusta, GA; May 3, 2013.
“Privileges and Documentary Evidence in the Electronic Age;” Georgia State Bar Mid Year Meeting; Atlanta, GA; January 10, 2013.
“Proposed New Georgia Rules of Evidence and Daubert;” Advanced Urgent Legal Matters at Sea; FL; November 2011.
“Evidence and Divorce Mediation in Trying Times;” Institute of Continuing Education; Augusta, GA; Fall 2010.
“Evidentiary Issues;” Advanced Urgent Legal Matters at Sea Freedom of the Sea Cruise; FL; November 2009.
Gary Christy Memorial Georgia Trial Skills Clinic Faculty Mentor; Athens, GA; June 2009, 2011, and 2013.
“Family Law Evidence Presentation;” Update on Family Law Seminar sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, GA; October, 2011 and 2012.
Multiple presentations on lay witnesses, expert witnesses, opinion testimony and hearsay; Seminars on the GeorgiaHandbook on Foundations and Objections; sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Augusta, GA; November, 2003; Atlanta, GA; February, 2004, 2005, 2007 – 2014; and Savannah, GA; August, 2005.
“Expert Trial Strategy”; New World of Experts in Georgia sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Atlanta, GA; December, 2005.
“Judicial Ethics and Disqualification;” Arkansas Trial Judges Conference; University of Arkansas; Fayetteville, AR; October, 2004.
“Full Faith and Credit of Family Violence Protective Orders;” Annual Meeting of the Council of Superior Court Judges for the State of Georgia; Savannah, GA; January, 2004.
“Opening Statements and Closing Arguments;” Building Blocks to Victory sponsored by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education; Atlanta, GA; December, 2004.
“Marital Property, Separate Property and Mixed Property;” Annual Meeting of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia; Amelia Island, FL; May, 2003.
“Professionalism and Ethics for Trial Lawyers;” Annual Meeting of the Georgia Defense Lawyers’ Association; Hilton Head Island, SC; July, 2003.