- Successfully defended businesses in commercial litigation (breach of contract) and tort litigation (dram shop liability, negligent hiring, premises liability).
- Successfully represented media companies and reporters in media litigation including matters dealing with Georgia Shield Law, reporters’ privilege issues, open records, public meetings, public access to court files.
- Represented clients in over 30 jury and bench trials from 1994-2001.
- Successfully represented publicly-held railroad in train derailment case. Midville River Track, LLC vs. Central Georgia Railroad Company, et.al, Georgia court of Appeals, A161188 (Nov 17, 2016)
- Successfully represented media company in legal organ dispute. Henry County Record, Inc. v. Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc., 274 Ga. 353 (2001)
- Successfully represented family of mentally incapacitated individual in a dispute regarding the negligent handling of a certificate of deposit. Wachovia Bank of Georgia, NA v. Reynolds, 244 Ga. App. 1 (2000)
- Successfully represented newspaper reporter asserting reporters’ privilege in underlying case; represented media company and reporter attempting to unseal records. Savannah College of Art & Design, Inc. v. School of Visual Arts, Inc., 270 Ga. 791 (1999)
- Successfully represented newspaper reporter asserting reporters’ privilege in re. Keith Paul, 270 Ga. 680 (1999)
- Briefed underlying motion for summary judgment; successfully defended insurer and motor carrier in a direct action wrongful death case. Southern General Ins. Co. v. Waymond, 221 Ga. App. 613 (1996)
Shannon joined the firm in 1996 and was named partner in 1998. From 1996 to 2001 she maintained an active practice in the area of general civil litigation with an emphasis on media law, tort defense and commercial litigation. She served as lead counsel in a wide variety of cases including disputes involving: media access to courts, reporters’ privilege issues, business disputes, premises liability, personal injury and general tort disputes. She returned to active practice in 2011, with a current emphasis on motions work, commercial litigation and tort defense.
Honors & Awards
“Punitive Damages Update,” Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia; 1998.