- Over 36 years of experience in representation of buyers, sellers, and lenders in thousands of residential real estate closings.
- Represented buyers, sellers, and lenders in commercial real estate closings for new projects, mergers and acquisitions and buyouts from contract negotiation; due diligence (review of financial records, insurance, existing loan documents, title examination, leases and outstanding contracts, appraisal, engineering reports, environmental reports, survey, prepare new legal descriptions, business license, zoning, permits physical inventory of fixtures, property taxes and litigation history); corporate formation documents; property acquisition and commercial financing.
- Represented buyers and sellers of closely held retail and service businesses and professional practices including medical and dental practices, retail businesses, service businesses, and real estate development firms.
- Handled HUD real estate closings for construction of group homes for disabled adults.
- Negotiated contracts and leases for real estate and business clients.
- Drafted and negotiated conservation easements for landowners and beneficiary organizations.
- Represented landowners in zoning, condemnation, and development matters including preparation of restrictive covenants and appearances before regulatory bodies.
- Worked with new business owners in business startups by forming limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations and prepared all corresponded operating agreements.
- Over 36 years of experience in estate planning drafting Wills, Trust Agreements, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Powers of Attorney, and Living Wills for clients.
- Advised individuals, couples, and families on estate planning and probate matters including tax and charitable gift planning.
- Represented individuals and corporate trust departments in estate administration.
- Served as Personal Representative in the administration of estates.
- Represented individuals seeking appointment as Conservator and Guardian for incapacitated individuals.
- Represented individuals in probate litigation matters including will contests, determination of common law spouse status, and disputes among beneficiaries.
Bill joined Hull Barrett in 1980 and is a senior partner in the Aiken office of the firm. He practices in the areas of estate planning, probate, real estate, and business/corporate law and has extensive experience on wealth transfer issues for individuals and owners of closely held businesses, the administration of decedents’ estates, as well as residential and commercial real estate transactions and small business transfers.
Honors & Awards
- Aiken Standard Newspaper's Reader Choice Award for Best Attorney (2012, 2013)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Paul C. Harris Fellow of Rotary International
- The Best Lawyers in America® - Real Estate Law
- University of South Carolina Aiken Distinguished Citizen Award (2011)