- Has handled and resolved litigation in federal and state courts for over twenty years, involving a variety of matters such as commercial (business) disputes, contract disputes, construction disputes, private company shareholder disputes, real property laws, the Clean Water Act, the Federal Miller Act, and Georgia’s Little Miller Act.
- Successfully represented various individuals, government agencies and utility companies in condemnation cases and inverse taking claims (both as plaintiff and as a defendant). These cases involved various property uses such as large and small shopping centers, national retailers, local businesses, apartment complexes, residential homes, family land, and undeveloped acreage.
- Successfully handled construction disputes in both federal and state courts. These cases have involved areas such as federal military projects, highway road construction, commercial and residential structures, office renovations, and school improvements.
- Successfully represented individuals, banks and title insurance companies in litigations involving the title to real estate and secured instruments.
- Successfully represented parties (public and private) in land use and zoning disputes, procurement challenges, ad valorem tax valuation disputes, and Freeport Exemption disputes with local governments.
- Successfully represented buyers and sellers of business in disputes arising out of commercial and residential sales agreements. These cases include purchases of automobile dealerships, physician/professional practices, and private businesses.
- Successfully defended corporations and individuals against personal injury cases, including industrial injury and construction failure.
- Successfully represented professionals (nonmedical) against malpractice or related claims.
- Acted as a mediator and as an arbitrator in cases involving commercial construction disputes, residential construction disputes, and land valuation disputes.
- Appointed as a Special Master in bar licensing dispute.
- Counselled numerous individuals, corporations, and government agencies on the efficient resolution of disputes short of litigation or through alternative dispute resolution methods.
Bill has a general civil trial practice and advises clients on contract and business disputes, commercial litigation, construction litigation, and in cases involving property valuation such as eminent domain (condemnations) and tax appeals. He has represented clients from various industries on such matters in both federal and state court, as well as in arbitrations, mediations, and special master proceedings. Representative clients include manufacturers, suppliers and vendors, general contractors and subcontractors, retailers, engineering firms, sureties, private property owners, government entities and condemning authorities, apartment complexes, and the buyers and sellers of large commercial enterprises. He has also been asked to act as both an arbitrator and as a mediator in construction and land valuation disputes and his appellate work includes the authorship of a petition for certiorari granted by the Supreme Court of the United States, as well as appearances in both the appellate courts of the State of Georgia and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®2017 - Litigation: Construction; Commercial Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Paul C. Harris Fellow of Rotary International
- “Political Violence and the Law in Ireland.” 4 Emory International Law Review. 239, 1990
“Georgia Construction Lien and Public Contract Bond Law”; Athens, Georgia; 1999.
“Proving Damages in an Eminent Domain Case”; Institute of Continuing Legal Education. Georgia. 1998.