The firm’s corporate finance practice includes the representation of lenders and borrowers in both South Carolina and Georgia and throughout the entire United States. Our practice includes all aspects of corporate finance from small local financings to large multi-state commercial mortgage backed securitizations to bond financing. We have experience handling a broad range of financing transactions, including construction loans, acquisition loans, development loans, agricultural loans, revolving lines of credit, asset based financings, public and private bond financings, and securitizations. Our clients include small local banks, to regional banks, to large national lenders. We also represent borrowers from small local companies to large public and private companies with properties throughout the United States.
When collateral consists of environmentally sensitive property, our commercial finance group collaborates with with our environmental law group to assist lenders and borrowers in navigating the complexities involved in such cases. Our experience includes a broad range of environmentally sensitive collateral.
Our attorneys have a broad range of experience in handling all aspects of financing transactions, including loan documentation, general due diligence, corporate authorization, legal opinions, zoning and land-use investigations, mortgage taxation and analysis, and all aspects to real property due diligence. We also have substantial experience providing and negotiating a wide variety legal opinions, including opinions involving UCC issues, tax issues, and substantive non-consolidation issues.
Importance of Corporate Finance Law
During the recent recession, many Lenders were forced to foreclose and were surprised and disappointed to find that their expectations as to collateral were not met. These lenders suffered significant losses that could have been prevented had proper due diligence been conducted and the loans appropriately documented. In order to properly understand and manage expectations and risk, lenders should retain careful, competent, and experienced counsel.
Representation and Achievements
Notable achievements by the firm in the area of loan commercial finance include:
- Represented lender in connection with a series of multi-state builder finance lines of credit in the $10,000,000 to $30,000,000 range.
Served as lead counsel for borrower in connection with a $350,000,000 credit facility.
- Represented a regional lender and created a unique set of documents for multi-state secured revolving credit facilities under which over $250,000,000 of loans have been closed.
- Represented developer in $50,000,000+ commercial development involving a private-public partnership with highly complex real estate issues, bond financing, government law issues, and loan issues.
- Represented regional developer in a $60,000,000+ transaction involving acquisition and financing of multi-state commercial properties and containing complex multi-state tax issues.
- Represented three different golf course community developers in all aspects of the projects including property acquisition, financing, leasing, establishment of covenants and associations, zoning and land use.