The firm’s labor and employment law practice covers the representation of employers who face claims of alleged discrimination and harassment in the workplace. These claims arise in the context of both federal and state law and involve claims of discrimination and harassment on the bases of race, sex, age, religion, national origin and disability. Such claims arise against employers in both the private and public sector. The firm has extensive experience in representing both private employers and public employers.
Importance of Claims of Discrimination and Harassment
Claims of discrimination and harassment in the workplace have increased significantly. A regular part of the firm’s practice is devoted to not only defending employers who have been sued for such claims but also to advise and consult with employers in an effort to assure their compliance with all legal requirements and to prevent claims that could be raised against them. As part of advising employers, the firm drafts and reviews employee handbooks. The firm also represents employers before the EEOC in responding to charges of discrimination.
Representation and Achievement
Some of the discrimination and harassment cases handled by the firm include:
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for defendant hospital in Title VII (Civil Rights Act of 1964) race discrimination case brought by physician, which was later affirmed on appeal (372 Fed. Appx. 51 (11th Cir. 2010)).
- Successfully defended employer in claim of discrimination by dismissed employee under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), obtaining summary judgment (301 F.Supp. 2d 1333 (S.D. Ga. 2003)).
- Successfully defended employer in Title VII case alleging hostile work environment and gender discrimination (102 F.Supp. 2d 1364 (S.D. Ga. 2000)).
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in Title VII case alleging race, sex and retaliation discrimination.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) retaliation claim. (546 Fed. Appx. 833 (11th Cir. 2013)).
- Obtained verdict for employer in Federal Court trial over claims of race discrimination.