- Prepared estate plans and gift plans to minimize transfer taxes and preserve family control of closely held businesses, including gift, federal and state tax planning, joint ownership planning, preparation of wills, revocable (“living”) trusts, irrevocable trusts, durable powers of attorney, health care powers of attorney, living wills and marital agreements.
- Routinely assist families and individuals in estate administration and all aspects of the probate process including the probate of wills; the inventory, management, and accounting for estate or trust assets; the settlement of an estate or trust; and representation in any necessary court or tax proceedings, including contested proceedings.
- Represented the organizers of multiple non-profit entities related to formation at the state level and tax-exempt application at the federal level.
- Structured charitable activities and advised families and business sponsors regarding compliance with private foundation rules.
- Provided corporate, LLC and partnership planning services including entity selections and formations, Subchapter S elections, planning for qualified and nonqualified retirement, welfare, and incentive plans, reorganization of existing corporations, and preparation of shareholder and partnership agreements.
- Provide counsel to retirement plans regarding various tax consequences, corporate governance and compliance issues.
- Routinely represent buyers and sellers in connection with all aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented seller in an asset sale involving a group of newspapers for over $10 million.
- Represented borrower in over $20 million credit facility with warrants issued to lender.
- Represented purchaser of notes in excess of $8 million secured by golf course.
- Represented emergency medical service company in multi-million dollar redemption of majority shareholder’s stock.
Brian began his career as a Certified Public Accountant and brings this extensive accounting and tax knowledge to his law practice. As an associate with the firm, his work ethic has allowed him to quickly become an integral part of the firm’s transactional group. As an attorney & CPA he handles many different types of business and corporate matters, ranging from entity selection and formations to the buying and selling of businesses. He also frequently prepares and advises on employment agreements, buy-sell agreements and other contracts used in operations. Routinely he will represent clients and advise them in various estate planning matters, including protecting assets against potential creditors and tax avoidance and assists clients with estate administration and various types of probate matters.
Honors & Awards
- Augusta Region’s Top Ten in Ten: Young Professionals to Watch (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Preeminent™ Client Review Rated