- Over ten (10) years of experience handling criminal legal matters.
- Represented the State of Georgia as an assistant District Attorney for five (5) years, prosecuting a wide range of felonies and misdemeanors. This experience provides specific knowledge and a systematic approach to criminal defense.
- Worked as an attorney at the Public Defender’s office for a year and represented indigent defendants on a variety of misdemeanor and felony charges.
- Over four (4) years of experience representing criminal defendants in the private sector in a multitude of different venues and on a wide array of offenses from misdemeanor DUI’s to felony cases, including, but not limited to, drug offenses, gun charges, theft charges, forgery, and other white collar crimes.
- Defended and prosecuted multiple individuals in white collar criminal matters, including but not limited to:
- Computer Fraud
- Credit Card Fraud
- Identity Theft
- Representation has resulted in good results for clients, including dismissals and probated sentences in many cases.
- Prosecutor for Columbia County in Magistrate Court for ordinance violations, including but not limited to domestic disputes, alcohol related offenses, and building code violations.
- Handled appeals of criminal convictions in Georgia.
- Assisted clients in the expungement of criminal records and issues related to obtaining firearm carry permits.
- Represented victims of domestic abuse in obtaining protective orders.
- Represented members of the medical community in Georgia and South Carolina on charges related to prescription fraud.
- Successfully prosecuted local builder on behalf of Columbia County for environmental violations.
- Defended various newspapers in defamation/libel actions.
- Assisted newspapers across the state of Georgia in various areas of media law.
- Successfully resolved a dispute over open records requests on behalf of a newspaper with a ruling from the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Successfully obtained judgments against contractors for faulty construction work for local businesses.
- Successfully defended a large trucking company in a motor vehicle accident case where Plaintiff sought extensive damages.
- Handled a litany of Plaintiff’s cases and obtained substantial monetary judgments for clients.
- Represented businesses both large and small in various matters from contract disputes to collection cases.
Brooks joined Hull Barrett, PC in 2011. As an associate in the litigation department, Brooks' practice will focus on general civil litigation where he will handle a wide variety of complex litigation matters. Brooks will focus primarily on commercial litigation matters, including prosecuting and defending claims in complex business disputes, health care litigation, First Amendment litigation, class actions and criminal litigation. Prior to joining Hull Barrett, Brooks served as the Assistant District Attorney for the District Attorney’s Office where he conducted prosecutions and court proceedings on behalf of the State of Georgia and was appointed Special Drug Prosecutor. He also worked in the Public Defender’s Office in the Augusta Judicial Circuit where he represented defendants in numerous court proceedings.
- A Survey of the Law of Non-Contractual Indemnity and Contribution, "Georgia", April, 2012, p. 33-36.