- Represent local government in all matters related to the legal needs of the county including law enforcement, public finance, rights-of-way matters, condemnation and eminent domain, land acquisition, tax appeals, public employment, emergency services and operations, ordinances, magistrate court, recreational facilities and activities, animal services, water utilities, fire services, planning and zoning, engineering and development services.
- Represented Developer in a multi-phase project that included retail sales, restaurants, a college and community support facilities.
- Represented developers of numerous residential subdivisions, prepared homeowner’s association covenants and organized the homeowner’s association.
- Represented the developer of numerous large resort projects on the East Coast and in Puerto Rico.
- Represented developers of multi-use projects including residential condominiums, retail stores, restaurants, and parking decks, dealing with issues regarding ownership of air space.
- Represented Seller in the sale of a multi-million dollar rehabilitation hospital.
- Represented the Seller of an acute care hospital with 230 beds.
- Represented a large acute care hospital system in its restructuring.
- Represent a non-profit community development golf course.
- Represented numerous non-profit entities which provide support functions in the community.
- Represented numerous bond-financed projects for both the private and public sectors.
Doug began his career with the firm on January 1, 1969. His legal experience spans decades and he has worked in virtually every facet of the firm focusing primarily on areas of local government, public finance, commercial business, real estate matters and representation of health care providers. Doug’s work often involves acting as bond counsel, issuers counsel, underwriters counsel or owners counsel in the issuance of local government general obligation bonds, water and sewer bonds, school bonds, revenue bonds, industrial development bonds, multifamily housing bonds, health care facility bonds and 501(c)(3) bonds. With his longstanding relationship with the community, he has and continues to work extensively on various legal aspects of the development, construction and financing of many of the projects along Augusta's Riverwalk.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2017- Health Care Law and Government Relations Practice
- Georgia Super Lawyers - Health Care (2004-2011)
- Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite - Governmental Affairs (2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Doug is a frequent lecturer to health care providers and government entities on health care and storm water utility issues.