Hull Barrett can serve clients engaging in agriculture practices ranging from small specialty family farms to large scale corporate farming, including timber farming. Our business and transactional attorneys can assist in determining the best type of entity structure for your agricultural endeavors, draft and negotiate contracts including leases and purchase or sales agreement for raw materials and crops. Our employment lawyers can assist with labor law compliance for both permanent and seasonal workers. We have counsel experienced in securing permits needed for water withdrawal from both groundwater and surface water, as well as for discharge of wastewater and land application of processed sludge for fertilizer. We also defend accusations of violation of such permits, and are familiar with applicable exceptions and exemptions. Our real estate lawyers often address complications from sales of property subject to agricultural or timber conservation covenants, and can close sales, purchases, or refinances of such properties in both Georgia and South Carolina.
- Successfully defended organic dairy farm client against Georgia EPD enforcement allegation of state water buffer violation involving structures adjacent to farm pond.
- Advise both suppliers and farm end-users in applying for and acquiring permits for land application of sludge.
- Advise commercial producer of bottled water products regarding water withdrawal permit requirements, exceptions and limitations.
- Successfully filed numerous applications for conservation use tax reductions, including appeals for initially denied applications.
- Closed timber sales in both Georgia and South Carolina.