Class action lawsuits and litigation raises a host of intricate legal, factual, procedural and strategic issues. The stakes are almost never higher than in class action litigation. Hull Barrett has successfully represented clients in federal and state class actions both as counsel for defendants and for plaintiffs. Our competitive advantages are our ability to understand our clients’ business and financial objectives, our efficient approach towards resolution of the case whether through early dispositive motions or favorable settlement, and our trial-ready preparation that effectively addresses all of the risks raised by this kind of litigation, including administrative and criminal liability when applicable. We have achieved successful results for clients at every phase of the class action litigation process in both trial and appellate courts, with a special emphasis on litigation in state and federal courts in Georgia. Because our firm has handled class action litigation from both the plaintiff and defense sides, we are well situated to understand and anticipate the future course of the litigation and focus our efforts on an efficient resolution that is most favorable to our client.
The scope of our practice includes:
- Consumer Litigation. The firm has defended and filed scores of class actions covering a wide variety of claims. These cases have involved alleged statutory violations such as unfair trade practices, fair business practices act, fair debt collection practices, mortgage lending, false advertising, insurance coverage and the Uniform Commercial Code, as well as common law claims. In many cases, the firm has successfully defeated plaintiffs’ attempts to certify classes, obtained dismissal by way of dispositive motion or negotiated favorable settlements for its clients.
- Data Breach Class Actions.The firm has represented clients in putative class actions involving data breaches and security issues and is familiar with unique Georgia law aspects of such cases.
- Product Liability/Mass Tort.The firm is experienced in defending product liability and mass tort claims, including claims arising from railroad derailment cases.
- Environmental/Toxic Tort.The firm has a group that focus on environmental matters, and the ability to merge complex litigation defense with environmental expertise in chemical exposure/run-off, pollutant release, personal injury, and Superfund clean-up.
- Employment/Employee Benefits.The firm has lawyers who focus on employment and employee benefits matters, and the experience and skills necessary to handle complex litigation defense focused in matters such as fair housing, Title VII, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and similar federal and state statutes.