- Assist lenders with pre-loan and pre-foreclosure environmental due diligence.
- Coordinated investigation and remediation of numerous previously contaminated “Brownfield” properties, including gas stations, petroleum distributors, manufacturers and current and former industrial facilities, guiding the parties and their lenders through the processes available to protect them from liability.
- Act as Special Counsel for Columbia County and McDuffie County, Georgia for environmental compliance and enforcement matters, including waste water, storm water and erosion and sedimentation control.
- Represented construction contractors and developers in obtaining proper zoning approvals and storm water permits.
- Represent mining and waste industry clients in obtaining permits for development to operate a surface mine and inert landfill.
- Represent landowners in claims against both private neighbors and State agencies alleging storm water drainage impacts resulting from land clearing and construction projects.
- Represent numerous landowners in obtaining wetland permits and stream buffer permits, and in defense of allegations of improperly impacting wetlands and stream buffers.
- Negotiated settlement with former landlord of client to settle claims of property contamination, allowing client to resolve all liability and obtain full release.
- Assist clients with regulatory compliance in multiple regulated industries, including industrial, development, manufacturing and utilities.
- Personally conducted title research in over half of Georgia’s 159 counties.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of former heavy industrial facility in Vidalia, Georgia, coordinated Brownfield remediation and approval of Georgia EPD, then represented client in sale of same property to ultimate end user for hospital.
- Drafted contract, corporate and real estate documentation, and served as closing attorney for complex corporate reorganization transaction involving the transfer of real and personal property from one foreign corporation to another.
- Serve as closing attorney and title insurance agent for transactions ranging from deeds of gift to multi-million dollars.
- Acting as local counsel for negotiation and sale of foreign-owned industrial facility, with complex restrictions on use and resale of assets to competitors of seller.
- Successfully resolved more than a dozen title insurance claims without need for contested litigation.
- Conduct title examinations and prepare acquisition statements for numerous clients including companies and railroads.
- Negotiate and draft commercial leases for both landlords and tenants.
Darren practices in the areas of real estate, corporate, transactional and local government law, with extensive experience in environmental and real estate title matters. He represents buyers, sellers, and lenders in real estate transactions and related issues, including zoning and construction applications and permits. He also advises and represents individual and corporate clients and their interests before state and federal regulatory agencies, as well as in negotiations and disputes with private parties. His extensive real estate experience includes the coordination and review of title research for the acquisition of regional water reservoirs encompassing several thousand acres and personally conducting title research in over half of Georgia’s 159 Counties. In addition to issuing title insurance for real estate transactions, Darren often acts as local counsel for title insurance companies for investigating and settling claims. Darren employs both business and environmental knowledge in coordinating and overseeing permit applications, due diligence efforts for real estate and corporate transactions, and managing both long and short-term environmental remediation projects. He has experience in soil erosion and storm water, wetlands, underground storage tanks (USTs) and above ground storage tanks (ASTs), hazardous waste, biomedical waste, solid waste, asbestos, waste water, water use permits (drinking water and irrigation), and air protection issues. Darren has facilitated the remediation and resale of numerous previously contaminated “Brownfield” properties, guiding the parties and their lenders through the processes available to protect them from liability.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2017- Environmental Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated